Geocaching to coincide with Tomb Raider Release
Geocaching.com are said to be working with the release of the new Tomb Raider title to create explorations and discoveries for geocachers and fans alike. Crystal Dynamics will be working with Groundspeak – the Seattle-based company set to inspire outdoor play through location-based technology – as part of the campaign leading up to the release of Tomb Raider.
For those who do not know the world of Geocaching, here are some facts:
- It was established 11 years ago
- Groundspeak’s ambitious goal was to create the world’s largest location-based, real-world treasure hunting experience.
- A hobby to some and lifestyle to others, avid geocachers keep track of their discoveries by downloading Geocaching.com’s mobile app, or by utilising GPS devices to track down targets.
- On average 180,000 geocache experiences are logged each day.
- Geocaching is supported by a 5-million strong community seeking over 1.5 million active geocaches hidden throughout the world. Some of these caches are creatively placed in populated areas like Times Square. Others require an adventurer’s attitude to uncover, such as those tucked away near the Great Wall of China.
“We are truly excited to be working on a series of exclusive gaming initiatives with Groundspeak,” said Karl Stewart, global brand director for Tomb Raider and Crystal Dynamics. “As a longtime fan of Geocaching, it’s the perfect fit for Tomb Raider and to be able to create a series of worldwide Geocaching treasure hunts for Tomb Raider is going to be a lot of fun.”
The collaboration will be executed through a series of location-based, worldwide adventures. Challenges will unfold through both the traditional treasure-hunting format established by Groundspeak, and the more recent photo-based framework, Geocaching Challenges.
“Many of us have been playing Tomb Raider since the first game launched in 1996, and we are excited that Geocaching.com is partnering with Crystal Dynamics on this project” said Jeremy Irish, CEO of Groundspeak. “Tomb Raider is all about exploration and discovery. It inspires the adventurer in all of us, much like geocaching does, and we are excited about the opportunities that this project presents for both geocachers and Tomb Raider fans worldwide.”